January 10, 2012

Winter Mantle. . .



After I took all the Christmas decorations down, my mantle was empty,bare....and just plain lonely...

I am always trying to save money....it's just my life....so I really
didn't want to spend anything for a winter mantle.


Yesterday, I showed you how I made these sweater vases from a $1.50 thrifted sweater

Now, I had to decide what to put in them...I have seen glittery sticks and 
other cool ideas, but, again, I didn't want to spend any money.


Here's a glimpse of how glamorous my life is.....as I went out on the porch to clean
up the MOUSE GUTS that our cat keeps dragging up for us, I saw our
grasses from the summer....they had turned a lovely soft brown!


I grabbed my kitchen shears, hacked some off some of the grasses and stuffed them 
in the vases.....perfect!  Then, I shopped the house....



My total cost.....$1.50 for the thrifted sweater!

9 comments:

Brooke @ Spruce Your Nest said...

Looks beautiful! I just re-did our mantel as well :)

Gloria Fox said...

I love this! Your sweater vases are really cute and cozy. Perfect for winter.

Would love you to come over and link up tomorrow (going live tonight at 9:00) on my Winter Mantle Party.

Good Time Charlie said...

This looks great! I love the soft winter color scheme. I am with you, I HATE spending money on home decor if I think I can do something for free or on the cheap. I am actually selling off some of my stuff that I have redone and redone because I want a BRAND NEW couch for my front room. I finally decided one room in our house can be for "grown ups, or well behaved children" only! I will probably have nervous fits when I actually press that "buy" button and put in my cc#.

DIYbyDesign said...

I love your mantle, and I just love that you only spent $1.50. Thanks for sharing at DIYbyDesign.

Unknown said...

I am so addicted to the sweater look this year! I've repurposed sweaters to cover vases, candle holders, a wreath, etc. The window really pulls this look together- I LOVE it! I'm hosting a Winter Wonderland link party on Monday and would love it if you linked up!
-Melissa
www.serendipityandspice.blogspot.com

Shannon said...

Love your Winter Mantle, and sweater vases. Did you make burlap book covers for your books on the mantel? Any tips for those covered books? :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful winter mantel - simple, elegant, and a bit rustic too. I love it!

-Rebecca
www.sister-dipity.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I have a white sweater that looks identical to this that I just finished a project with! I might have to save the sleeves to copy this idea! Love it!

Bliss said...

I just spent an agonizing 2 days trying to get my mantel right after the Christmas decorations came down. It's bare no more, but I think I'm going to try some sweater vases for other spots. Hopefully I'm one step ahead of any other ladies out there scouting out white toned sweaters!

~Bliss~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...