October 4, 2011

Junked Dresser Makeover. . . .



A friend contacted me and asked me to help her pick paint colors for her son's room.  While I was at her house, I saw this dresser and 2 matching pieces.....


I asked her what she was planning on doing with them....I was nervous that she was going to throw them away! Yep.....that's exactly what she was planning to do....so I hauled this guy into my car and brought him home!

Lori looked at me doubtfully.....this was her junked childhood furniture....but look at the results!



I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with this piece, but I knew that I needed to smooth out the peeling paint.  After I started sanding, I realized that the dresser was solid wood, so I decided to stain and seal the top!



Because I used heavy grit sandpaper (and my palm sander!), sanding only took about 30-40 minutes to sand to this smooth finish!


I'm still debating whether or not to distress the drawers.  It doesn't have really nice lines to distress along...



...I may grab my palm sander again and distress it along the drawers....I'm also wanting to try out furniture wax....


There may be a part two coming!

23 comments:

Tammy said...

What a great save!!! I love the stained top! It looks gorgeous! I think it would look great with distresses drawers too!

Laurel@ChippingwithCharm said...

Looks lovely...great save! I'm all for disressing...everything :) Laurel

Pam - @diy Design Fanatic said...

Good save, Nicole! It looks so much better! I love the color combination!

Something Nice and Pretty said...

I love the wood top on it, I think it really adds to the planiness of the drawers!

Lil Mama Stuart said...

looks great! especially considering what it looked like beforehand! I think it looks good as is.

Katie said...

OMG! This is awesome. Complete 180! Love it and a tad bit jealous because I want to rehab some furniture pronto!!!

Cailan said...

How in the world did you find time for this, Lady? Way to have vision - I'm very impressed with your sanding skills!

michele said...

looks awesome. come visit anytime!

michele

cherished bliss said...

This is such a great transformation! I am looking for an old dresser for my son. I see them everywhere until I need one : )

I'd love for you to share at my party!

http://www.cherishedbliss.com/2011/10/craft-and-tell-no-25.html

Tatum said...

WOW! This looks amazing! I can't get over it. Brilliant! I vote for a little distressing, but it looks great as is.

ANNE said...

Awesome job! Love your blog - new follower here!!

6th Grade said...

nice save, girl! now what are you going to do with it? ;)

i, too, vote for distressing the edges a touch just to add some detail/depth. still....it's fab as is!

amy

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Fantastic save!! She's so pretty now. Found you via Primp. Toodles, Kathryn http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2011/10/chest.html

Unknown said...

Awesome job! I love it!

Kali

Alison Agnew said...

amazing what people will discard
and you have made this piece
look fabulous

thanks for sharing at fridays unfolded!

alison

Deborah March said...

FABULOUS re-do...hmmm...has your friend seen it yet? She'll be amazed!


Deborah ♥♥ (visiting happily from http://upcyclingmylife.blogspot.com/... hope you can drop by and say hi!)

Shiloh said...

I love the stain with the paint. I'm not a distresser, so I think you should leave it.;) Is there a drawer missing in the before pictures? How did you fix that??

Unknown said...

Great job!! I love how you transformed this completely!! :)

-Bonnie @ Revolutionaries
http://bonniegetchell.blogspot.com

Nicole@Thrifty Decorating said...

Hey Shiloh....I just had the drawer sitting on the floor, so I didn't have fix anything! :)

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments!

Kimberly T. said...

I love that! I never thought of doing the two toned paint on a dresser before. It looks great!

Heather@Simply Mommy said...

I love this! It turned out great! :0)

Unknown said...

I love changing old furniture! This turned out great! I found your blog through the crazy cute party...I'm your newest follower! I would love for you to stop by my new blog & follow along too. loveofhomes.blogspot.com

Sherryd said...

Good that you saw the potential & saved it from land field! You did a wonderful job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...