February 12, 2011

If You Give a Mother a Minute.....

Do you ever have days where it's just hard to get out-of-bed?  Mornings where facing the day ahead of you is just....... plain......overwhelming.....



I have those days.....days when my mind ticks through how much I have to do that day and I have not even opened my eyes yet..........days when my arms and heart feel heavy and I just don't even want to open my eyes!


My brain works like a checklist.....I think that a lot of women are like that....we are constantly multi-tasking...constantly sorting through lists in our head....constantly trying to get the most done in the spare moments that we have....



I often think that my life is a lot like If You Give a Pig a Pancake......



"If I walk through the living room, I will see dust.......when I go to get the dust rag under the kitchen sink, I will see a load of dishes in the dishwasher that needs to be unloaded.....when I go to unload the disherwasher, I will realize that I need a clean dish towel......when I walk to the laundry room for the clean towel, I will see the broom and realize that the kitchen floor needs to be swept.......while sweeping the kitchen floor, the cat will "meow" and I will go downstairs to feed it.....while going down the stairs I will see books on the steps and need to put them back on the bookshelf.....while putting the books away, I will see dirty socks and the floor and remember a load of laundry that I need to put in the drier......."

Can you relate???

It's 7:02 am and I've been awake all of 2 minutes and my mine is whirling....cycling through the checklist of what needs to be done....and then my heart starts beating....anxious........wondering how I will get it all done and I haven't even started!


So many times in the whirling of my mind I forget that there is a quiet voice whispering to me....gently...Spend time with Me.......


But, Lord, I don't have time....if I could just keep my eyes closed and pretend that I'm still asleep......Spend time with Me....


To be honest, many days, I don't listen....I ignore that voice....instead I spend those next minutes reviewing the things that are actually making me anxious!


Today was one of those mornings.....there were emails to send, taxes to prepare, library trips to make and basketball games all afternoon....ugh!  But I felt pressed to read in the Psalms.....specifically Psalm 61-63...


This is what God was whispering:


Yes, my soul, find rest in God;
   my hope comes from him.
6 Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
   he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
7 My salvation and my honor depend on God;
   he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
8 Trust in him at all times, you people;
   pour out your hearts to him,
   for God is our refuge


The hardest part of being a wife....a mom...and just a woman is that there is never a break or vacation....never a moment to step away from our "job" which is really just managing the life of our family.....but God was trying to say...."No, Nikki....your refuge...your escape....your relief will be in ME."


As we were driving to basketball today....this song came on the radio....if you have a moment....listen to the words....



... it reminded me today of whose I am....and what's really important....

.......and if I just give Him a few minutes of my day, He can remind me of that.......


4 comments:

Paulette, Jvona & Rachel said...

It's Sunday. THE day when I should be thinking about ways to spend with Him. I've had the flu for a week and won't be going to church, but, the first thoughts in my head this morning were about how messy the house has gotten in my "absence", not that I should find some quiet time to read the scriptures. Thank you for the reminder. And the song was lovely. I have tears running down my face. I appreciate your reflections. They are gentle reminders to me.
-Paulette

3 Little Chicks said...

Beautiful post. Thank you. I relate.

Lori said...

Hi! Love your blog! I am a new follower. I also love that song. It is my ring tone on my cellphone. :)

Jensamom23 said...

Wonderful post and a good reminder to me. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...